September

Hello y'all! This is my first blog post for the MS Pharmacology program and there's already so much to share! I feel like I've finally adjusted to living in NOLA after living here for about a month and half. Coming from California, it was difficult to adjust to the weather, moving to the city and being so far away from family. Now, after having the chance to explore more of the city, meeting so many wonderful, friendly people and eating some of the best meals of my life, I'm definitely starting to fall in love with NOLA.

I've just returned back from a volunteer service at the Goldring Center for Culinary Medicine this afternoon. The GCCM allows med-students and community volunteers to teach healthy cooking and proper nutrition to members of the New Orleans community. Not only do we get cook and share a meal together, but we also share tips and advice on how to find healthier alternatives to their current diet and encourage them to share with their friends and family! As I've immediately realized, there are a ton of delicious but not so healthy food here in New Orleans. The state of Louisiana is also marked by high obesity rates and high incidence of obesity related illnesses like diabetes and hypertension, so programs like the GCCM are important for helping change the health and wellness of the community it serves. The theme today was grilling and all of the recipes we cooked involved grilling! I worked with two ladies, Vee and Linda and we made some delicious grilled shrimp and grits. I learned about their families and how much GCCM has made them be more bold and adventurous with what they cook to their family. Chef Katie then proceeded to teach them about the different food groups we made today and gave tips on healthy grilling as we cleaned up the kitchen and prep for the next class. I can't wait to see what is in store for next weekend!

As far as school goes, we had our first block exam earlier this week! I felt extremely nervous on the days leading up to the exam. I've kept up with lectures and I felt like I understood the material well, but it had been a while since I've taken an exam and was anxiously wondering if I've done enough. Luckily, I've made some great study partners in my cohort who helped keep my nerves at bay and really drove down the concepts with me. I felt such a huge relief immediately after the exam and felt as though a huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders. Only for a moment though; it's time to start preparing for the next one!

September Service Hours: 8.50
Cumulative Fall Semester Hours: 8.50







Comments

Popular Posts