November
Hello folks! Time for another update on my time here in NOLA. This past month we took one of the hardest blocks, the CV and renal block! It was challenging but incredibly fascinating to learn about the complexities of these pharmacological agents and how it impacts patients, especially since cardiovascular disease is the leading cause of death in the US and is responsible for 1 in every 4 deaths in America according to the CDC. I also find it interesting to learn the impact of changes in diet and amount of exercise in a hypertensive patient's blood pressure. I learned that using a diet rich in fruits and vegetables along with daily exercise can lower your blood pressure up to 10 mmHg. It really puts into perspective the importance of the work that both Goldring Center for Culinary Medicine and Edible Schoolyard are doing for their communities. Considering the fact that according to the American Heart Association, over a third of the population in New Orleans have high blood pressure and over two-thirds hold risk factors such as obesity and smoking. I learned a lot during this block and I was glad to gain a deeper understanding on not only the pharmacology of the drugs but also the physiological interplay between renal and cardiovascular systems.
As far as volunteering goes, this past month I continued to work with Edible Schoolyard and participated in a couple of their scholastic events. One of them was their 20th anniversary celebration. It was incredibly inspiring to learn about the roots behind Edible Schoolyard and the history of the First Line Charter Schools. It began with educators who saw issues in the local school system and saw first hand how it impacts students in their own classrooms. One of the founders, Jay Altman, shared with us those first few years of starting First Line and talked about the trials and triumphs in starting First Line Schools. It was also great to hear from past students that now work for First Line and hear about how the teachers and parent volunteers made huge impact on not only their education but their own aspirations and goals. It was really humbling to meet these great educators and community leaders and it inspired me to find ways to be more involved in my community back home and here in New Orleans!
This Thanksgiving break I flew to Nashville to visit a close friend of mine and the trip allowed me the time to reflect even more on my time here so far. I'm so thankful for the opportunity to learn and grow in such a vibrant and interesting city, alongside professors and classmates who are inspiring me in many ways. I look forward to finishing this year strong and coming back home to see my family! Until next time :)
November Service Hours: 12
Cumulative Fall Semester Hours: 32.50
As far as volunteering goes, this past month I continued to work with Edible Schoolyard and participated in a couple of their scholastic events. One of them was their 20th anniversary celebration. It was incredibly inspiring to learn about the roots behind Edible Schoolyard and the history of the First Line Charter Schools. It began with educators who saw issues in the local school system and saw first hand how it impacts students in their own classrooms. One of the founders, Jay Altman, shared with us those first few years of starting First Line and talked about the trials and triumphs in starting First Line Schools. It was also great to hear from past students that now work for First Line and hear about how the teachers and parent volunteers made huge impact on not only their education but their own aspirations and goals. It was really humbling to meet these great educators and community leaders and it inspired me to find ways to be more involved in my community back home and here in New Orleans!
This Thanksgiving break I flew to Nashville to visit a close friend of mine and the trip allowed me the time to reflect even more on my time here so far. I'm so thankful for the opportunity to learn and grow in such a vibrant and interesting city, alongside professors and classmates who are inspiring me in many ways. I look forward to finishing this year strong and coming back home to see my family! Until next time :)
November Service Hours: 12
Cumulative Fall Semester Hours: 32.50
![]() |
| Me working the Edible Schoolyard Garden |
![]() |
| Fall foliage in Nashville |




Comments
Post a Comment